Taking the Mystery out of Poached Eggs in the Instant Pot
The struggle is real. I’ve tried poached eggs at 2 minutes and they weren’t cooked completely. I’ve tried poached eggs at 3 minutes and they were more like hard boiled. So, I tried 2 minutes again–hard boiled this time. How can they be underdone and overdone in the same amount of time? What in the world was I doing wrong? This poached egg dilemna was particularly frustrating to me because my husband LOVES poached eggs and I’ve never been able to make them using the drop-it-in-boiling-water-on-the-stove method. The instant pot was my chance to master the poached egg. Well, I’ve finally done it! Two times in a row! My husband is happy. I am happy. All is well, all because of a few poached eggs.
The first thing you should know is that there are these little silicone cups you can buy at Ikea that will make your egg poaching a lot easier. You can find it on the Ikea website by clicking HERE.
Here’s my foolproof method to get poached eggs right every time.
- Spray these little babies with cooking spray, crack the egg and pour it in.
- Then place the instant pot rack (the one you got with the pot) in the stainless steel pot.
- Now comes the brainstorm that I got to make poached eggs right every time. Put in a cup of HOT water. It doesn’t have to be boiling, but very hot.
- Set your instant pot on steam for 2 minutes and wait, do dishes, make coffee, etc.
- When the beeper goes off, let them NPR (natural pressure release) for 3 minutes, then QR (quick release) and remove from pot.
They’ll dump right out of their little silicone shells and onto the plate.