Lemon Pudding Cake
My mom never made this cake, but many grandmothers and mothers before her did. I was intrigued by this cake because, well, I had all of the ingredients in my kitchen. 🙂 This was much easier to put together than I imagined and has a lovely flavor and scent of lemon. There are many recipes out there, but here is the way I put mine together.
Lemon Pudding Cake a la Kitchen Chicks
- 1 AND 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
- 4 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
- 2/3 CUP LEMON JUICE–ADD A TSP. OF ZEST IF YOU LIKE
- 1 CUP WHOLE MILK
- 1/3 CUP HALF AND HALF
- 1/2 CUP FLOUR
- 3 EGG YOLKS
- 3 3GG WHITES
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and mix with sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the lemon juice and mix.
- Put in the egg yolks and mix together.
- Add the milk, half and half and flour and mix thoroughly–the batter will be thin and light.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form and the egg whites look glossy.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until combined. Do not beat.
- Spray the ramekins or casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the batter into them.
- Bake the ramekins or dish within another dish with boiling water about half way up the sides for about 40 minutes or until browned on the top.
- Let cool for a few minutes so that the lemon cakes are warm or slightly cooled.
- You should have a light cake on the top with a custard pudding on the bottom.
- Serve with berries or whipped cream.I think actually I could decrease the sugar by 1/4 cup and still have a very good bake, but this was filling and very tasty. I will definitely be making this again–Soon. Very soon. 😀