4-Ingredient Sausage Stir Fry Recipe
Have you ever had one of those nights where you were scavenging through every cabinet to find something to cook for dinner? Well, that was my night last night. I found a few links of sausage, rice, green pepper and onion. So, what do you do? Well, at my house we make stir fry This isn’t the traditional Chinese stir fry, but it does have a tasty mix of flavors.
When I make stir fry, I always start with the rice. If you have a rice cooker, that’s a great way to cook rice, but I don’t, so this is the process I use to make great rice every time:
How to Make the Perfect Steamed Rice
- Put 1 cup of rice in the bottom of a 3 quart saucepan.
- Add 2 cups water, 1 Tbs. butter and 1/2 tsp salt to the rice.
- Put on medium high and cook just until it starts to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, put the cover on it, lower the heat to medium low and set your timer for 12 minutes–NO PEEKING!
- When the 12 minutes is up, remove the rice from the burner and let stand with the cover on for 5 more minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork. Perfect rice every time.
The Sausage Stir Fry
- 1/2 lb sausage traditional sausage links (like kielbasa), cut into pieces
- 1 medium white onion, cut into strips
- 1 green peper, cut into strips
- Soy sauce to taste
Once your rice has started on it’s 12 minute cook time, start by cutting the sausage into circles about 1/4 inch thick and frying them in a pan until they are slightly browned. Once the sausage browns, the oil in the meat starts to come out and provides a frying oil for your onion and green pepper. Now slice the onion and green pepper into small strips and put them in the pan with the sausage. I used 1 whole onion and 1 whole green pepper. Then simmer the vegies and the meat together until the vegies are softened slightly. No one likes a limp vegie. They should retain a little of their crispness. This holds in the flavor, but allows for some of the meat flavor to combine with it. Don’t forget to take your rice off the burner and let it sit!
Finish up by plating the rice and topping it with your stir fry. Add a little soy sauce and your meal is complete! The result is very mild, but also very flavorful. If you wanted to add a little spice, I think a little curry would be nice, or seasoned salt, but we enjoyed it just the way it was.